Sunday, January 18, 2009

Since the New Year...

January 10, 2008
Last night, Yvette and I auditioned for this Murder Mystery Dinner theatre. Afterwards we picked up Martina and went to keep Yvette company while she worked the back bar at Hooligans. The band Static Cycle played that night, and I have to say I was impressed by the show. Great musicians. Check them out on Myspace...they are originally from Anchorage, but got signed and now are on tour. Glad to see they haven't forgotten where they came from, and so glad they came to play this weekend.


Yay- Michelle came out too! I heart my BFF!!


Thursday, January 15

Alaska's newsworthy run of subzero temperatures broke the other day, but I'm not sure I really prefer what we have now. Along with the 60 degree jump in temperature came freezing rain and slush and treacherous driving conditions. But at least our house is warm again. The old homestead house has its share of energy deficits, and both Sam and I spent a couple weeks sleeping under piles of blankets in layers of clothing. It's nice to be back to my regular pjs again...
Yesterday I scooted out of work a little early to get my haircut. There's something so great about going to a salon and pampering yourself- feeling beautiful and refreshed as you walk out the door. Do you like the new look?



Katie and I headed to The Crossing for a nice dinner out, and I bought my little sister her first martini! Crazy that she's 21 now... We enjoyed the leisurely dinner and savored the tastes, smells, the delicious ambiance of the room...as well as discussion about life, love, and other mysteries.

mmm....The K-Beach

Katie's prime rib...

stuffed chicken with cranberry spinach mousse, rosemary garlic potatoes and fresh asparagus.

The evening could have been perfect even if had ended as we left the restaurant, but we topped it off with some window shopping in the home decor section of the only department store still open in Soldotna (wait- it is the ONLY department store in Soldotna haha) and then picked up mom and headed back to the homestead to watch P.S. I Love You. I love that movie... and I love my house. The has freshly painted walls now, and a whole new look that I love.

Some pictures of the recent painting party... (finished product pics to come):





Aunt Kate made me curtains for my room! What a labor of love... and they're beautiful!



Saturday, January 16
Soooooo I recently auditioned for this Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre thing that the Kenai Performers is putting on at the end of March. We only read a portion of the script during auditions but it is called Hot Knights and is over the top hilarious. I got a part! It's a small all-adult cast- 6 men and 6 women. We're only gonna have a handful of practices between now and show time due to everyone's ridiculously conflicting schedules.... so it's gonna be down and dirty, but the cast is made up of seasoned actors and this director seems really cool and talented and flexible... he's looking at everyone's schedules and then will just pick nights that work for everyone. We have our first meeting next Thursday to read over the script in its entirety and discuss the direction of the show... so stay tuned for more news on this one. I need to start practicing my southern... :)

~~~~~~~~

Thursday night was a restless one for me....I haven't had an evening like that in a while. My roommate, young as she is offered her insight with the comment that maybe my sexy new haircut was contributing to my restlessness. I think she had something there... part of me wanted to go out- where, I don't know- but I just intensely desired to be seen and appreciated and enjoyed... Thank goodness the roads were treacherous that night...I think it was God's way of seeing that I stayed put in my casa and therefore, stayed out of trouble. Thank you Abba, for interfering and saving me from myself. A few days later I was emailing a new friend while at work and commented on how hard it is to meet quality men in this town. Her response hit home and normalized everything I'd been feeling a few nights prior. An excerpt:

"I know what you mean about quality men here. I have been lonely for some time now and it can get pretty dreary. Im pretty much done with the bars here but it can get hard to not be tempted in the middle of the night when you end up feeling just a little too lonely on the weekends (not just for boys but just for company- seems my friends just go out every weekend and I need to make some newer friends with other hobbies)."

How encouraging to be reminded I am not alone in this place of singleness. How good to hear someone else has simular desires and struggles with loneliness. I'm not insane, afterall! ...or at least not alone in my insanity! :) I hope to kindle this new friendship, but even if that does not happen, her words served a purpose that day. God works even through procrastinators' email exchanges... :)

Sunday, January 18

I joined Weight Watchers this week and will be starting at a new gym. I loved Elite and my personal trainer there, but since moving it has proved to be too great a commute. And with the PAC (Peninsula Athletic Club) only a couple miles down the road, it only makes sense to make the change. Last week at work we started our own Biggest Loser contest. We each put in 50 bucks and after 6 months whoever loses the greatest percentage of body weight takes it all! (There's over 400 in the pot now). How's that for a motivator? We even are doing weekly weigh ins every week at the job site. It's nice that we can all encourage each other...although I swear someone is still bringing in sweets since this thing kicked off and I think the plan is to sabotage us all. I will resist :)

This morning my Katie left to fly back to Indiana for another semester of school. I SO enjoyed spending time with her these last 4 weeks. So special...I love her. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't wait until I'm home for a week this summer. Katie and you and I will make the tradition LIVE!!! Won't that be crazy times?
How was Michael's concert? Did you get to go?
I miss you so much. Tonight is letter night, meaning WATCH OUT! There will be an envelope...